Tuesday, May 11, 2010

SWING that Soft Hackle

"MAN this is fun", I exclaimed after nabbing a few fish on our way back downstream from our usual day of walking "UPSTREAM", and attempting to get our best dead drifts from either a tandem nymph rig or dry fly. My partner muttered "well it gives you something to do on the way back to the car!"
I'd like to give it a little more credit than that. In the past year I've realized how much slightly agitating a nymph or caddis fly can really "set off" a fish rather than just attempting the perfect dead drift every time. The same holds true with the standard down and across method that most of us are taught when using some of these of these partridge and "whatevers." It's kind of an idiot proof way to enjoy your day on the water and look at the scenery that surrounds you rather than watching a indicator or heavily hackled dry fly.
I told myself this season I was going to fish this style a little more. If nothing else, when fishing a crowded stretch of water, it almost always seems that most fisherman attempt a jaunt upstream, this gives us another option in that same stretch of water. Don't forget about it, just another trick in the bag, and I need all the tricks I can get.

9 comments:

  1. Can you hear the "I told you so's"? I can. Before we know it you'll be fishing riffling hitches on classic steelhead flies. In all seriousness, it is a super-fun way to fish that usually works great. The flies are easy to tie and the colors are limitless. The work equally well dead-drifted under a dry fly....super fun stuff.

    Sip

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh lord, i imagine an "anonymous" post might come in addressing his "muscle" of megatron and optimus prime, and becoming a purist of the wet fly. WHAT's next? ALL PASS LAKES? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have determined to do the very same thing this season. It can be more relaxing than the attention that it takes to track a dry. As you say, I need all the help I can get.
    Grouse or Hun for soft hackle?
    I just had that very conversation yesterday at the fly shop.
    I've got a collection of both.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. REALLY? is there ANY QUESTION john, OF COURSE GROUSE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course. The ultimate in all things bird.
    The king of soft hackle.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. there you go jim, then just type your name in at the end so I know who you are

    ReplyDelete
  7. and AGAIN, FINALLY!
    Mr. BlueSky

    ReplyDelete
  8. And those nice "Wilsons" are great for doing this technique.
    Jimmy H

    ReplyDelete